Call  0419 144 722

Home » Who Needs A Boat Licence » Do You Need A Boat Licence

Do You Need A Boat Licence


badgeFrom 1 January 2012, it became compulsory to complete a practical tuition course to obtain a motorboat licence.
MAST is confident that those new to boating will benefit greatly from practical training which will ensure the delivery of better knowledge and boat handling skills.

The feedback MAST gets from those new boaters who have undertaken practical training is very supportive of these courses.
MAST also sees benefits flowing from the fact that all new licence holders will be taught the same syllabus which has been based on national competencies.


MAST Practical Tuition Course (Compulsory as of 1 January 2012) Licence applicants must attend a MAST Practical Tuition for Recreational Trailer Boat Operators course with a MAST accredited training provider. This will involve on-water training in the required competencies. The Course is approximately 4-5 hours in duration.
Once the training provider is confident the applicant has completed the competencies and has passed the exam, a motorboat license card will be issued. This is sent in the mail allow four weeks.

Provisional Licences
Candidates must be 17 years of age to sit for a motorboat licence, however, a Provisional Licence is available for children aged between 12 and 17 years of age.
The Provisional Licence is gained the same way as a full licence as outlined above.
The following restrictions apply to provisional licence holders:
– must be accompanied by a responsible adult; – must not take charge of a motorboat at night; – must not at any time exceed a speed of 20 knots; – must not tow a skier; – must not tow an aquaplaner at a speed exceeding 10 knots.

The Provisional Licence is automatically updated to a full licence when the person turns 17. For More information Safe Boating (M.A.S.T.)

Comments are closed.